Foreign trips present unique security challenges. Thus, though traveling abroad should generally be about new experiences and fun, there are safety issues that should be considered. Fortunately, there are ways to reduce security risks while traveling abroad.
Here are security tips that you should follow when traveling abroad:
Plan before you go
Before you leave your country, take time to prepare for the trip. You definitely don’t want to land in a country that is embroiled in a coup attempt or civil war. Therefore, take time to do some research about your destination. Additionally, handle all paperwork in advance.
- Travel papers like visas and passports
- Health insurance
- International driving license
- Prescription for any necessary medication
While in a foreign country
Once you arrive in the foreign country, take care of yourself and your belongings.
Do the following to ensure your safety:
- Protect your identification documents and devices physically
- Use ATMs only when you don’t have an option
- Avoid sharing photos and telling friends about your whereabouts or adventures until you arrive back home
- Avoid using computers in public places, cyber cafes, or hotel business centers because they can be loaded with malware and keyloggers
- Avoid using insecure Wi-Fi hotspots and public wireless networks
- When not using Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, disconnect them
- Keep laptop, phone, and other devices close when not using them
Upon your return
Getting back to your home county doesn’t mean you can’t be affected by the security risks in the country that you visited.
To ensure your security when you get back to your country, do the following:
- Change the passwords that you used abroad
- Run a full antivirus scan on your laptop, tablet, and other devices
- Check monthly statements of the credit cards that you used abroad for discrepancies
- Delete apps that you may have downloaded in a foreign country if you no longer need them
Follow these tips to ensure your security while traveling abroad and you will have the most fulfilling experience.